Osama Bin Laden

Print Friendly and PDF Yesterday the notorious enemy of the West, responsible for the events of 9/11 in 2001 that changed the world into a more fearful place - Osama Bin Laden - was killed in a military raid having finally been discovered after nearly 10 years in hiding. There have been scenes particularly from the US, of people everywhere rejoicing at his demise.

I must admit to very mixed feelings on the news, I actually feel a bit sad. You see, a few years ago now, my youngest son began requesting every night that we pray for just 2 things - his friend Aaron who had emigrated to Australia and surprisingly, Bin Laden. There was something about Bin Laden that particularly struck a chord with my son. The prayer request never changed and every night we would pray "Lord please help Bin Laden, please show him that what he is doing is wrong and help him to change". It seemed a very insignificant prayer and usually a bit of an effort to say at the end of a long tiring day!

Jesus told us to love our enemies, to pray for them. From all accounts I doubt whether Bin Laden did change, he kept up his threats of terrorism right until the end. There does come a time in everyone's life when the die is cast and Bin Laden's time came. I guess we don't know for sure what happens in someones final moments. God can reach even an atheist when he is dying. Was the prayer worth anything at all?

What I can say for sure is that Aaron is doing very well at his school in Australia but that he still very much misses his friend in NZ. I believe that is more than a coincidence. And I also believe that praying for an enemy does change our own heart if not our enemy's. Yesterday I could have been rejoicing too, but instead I just feel sad.

No comments :