Parallel Lines

Print Friendly and PDF
On October 15th this week we began the PACT Soccer Academy for the 7th year! This year we have 50 registrations, the highest number we've ever had. What's exciting is the big batch of the very youngest ones joining for the first time.

It's a simple program, easy to run and lot of fun for the kids and the coaches. We have seen a number develop into very good players. We could do more days with more kids but of course I have work commitments and bills to pay just like everyone else. It has helped keep me sane throughout the time and the rewards are better than money.

It was a happy moment this week as I looked across the school field at all the kids running here, there and everywhere and the parents watching curiously from the sidelines. It felt like the very first year all over again as if we're starting a new 7 year cycle. 

Labour Weekend October 2008
I will always remember the first year 2008 because 10 days after starting I broke my leg in 2 places playing in a tournament at Mt Mauganui during labour weekend. I lay on the hospital bed on the Saturday night wondering how the Academy was going to continue. We'd done a lot of work to get it started and this was the worst setback we could have had. It is not easy demonstrating skills while sitting in a chair, using crutches as pointers ; )
 
In fact, it would have failed but for a number of people who stepped into the gap to do the coaching, leaving me just to do preparation and administration. I have learned by that experience that for something to succeed in the long run it needs the support of the community. Since PACT are a Christian community group, the success is really down to their good people and their good work in our community. 
 
Why am I telling you this? For a few reasons. 

1. Firstly, working for PACT is a pleasure. The business world takes a lot out of you and pays you fairly for that. But doing the Soccer Academy gives me back more than I give. 
Matthew 11:28-29
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

2. I know that the success does not depend on me, that something greater is happening that I'm privileged to be a part of and contribute to. And of course I am very fortunate that my employers allow me the time to do it!
Psalm 127:1
Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the guards stand watch in vain.

3. We can't measure success in financial terms. There are a few people working full time in our communities who are largely unrecognised and prefer it that way. They gain more in satisfaction from helping others than they would earn in pay working in the business world. If you are able to get involved then I encourage you to do so!
Matthew 6:3-4
But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

4. We hear a lot in the media about the success of individuals. It might be the World's way but we do not succeed at the Lord's work as individuals. We need the Body of Christ to be working together. We are all gifted differently but working together as one body!
Ephesians 4:16
From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

There is more to this story than I have time for now. When my leg was broken, it opened the door to a parallel life that runs alongside my ordinary one. Sometime I'm going to pass through the door and leave this one behind but for now they run in parallel.

Notes from 1st Session October 15th 2008
 

No comments :